Everybody wants to work with a team player and the essential qualities of a team player are the reasons why. Being a team player means that you go above and beyond simply thinking about yourself and you instead focus on what is best for the team.
While there is no blue-print to follow in order to become a team player, there are certain steadfast essentials that you must possess including:
• Adaptability: In order to be a true team player you must be able to adapt. Adapting to the situation at hand means that you are focusing on the best solution and not necessarily the quickest. As circumstances change, so too will your approach, but you will always be willing to shift if need be.
• Strong Commitment: A true team player will stay committed to the team. If you are working with someone and they only put in effort during regular hours, what do you think of that person? A real team player remains committed to the team and any problems that may arise no matter what time of the day it may be.
• Tenacious: To be a true team player you must have that, ‘never say never’ attitude. You can’t try one solution and simply throw your hands up in the air and quit if it doesn’t work. Instead, you must show your tenacity and your willingness to get the job done, no matter what it takes.
• Sacrificing: Another essential quality of a team player is the ability to sacrifice for the good of the team. Sometimes, you have to be able to put the needs of the team before your own needs. Maybe that means a little extra work on your part or even a skipped meal here and there, but a true team player will make the sacrifice without any expectation of notice.
• Cooperation: In order to be a real team player and find solutions to the many problems that may crop up, you have to be cooperative. You can’t be close minded with the other members of your team. You have to keep an open mind and work with your team, not against them.
• Dependability: A true team player is the’ go to person’ on the team. In order to be that person you have to be dependable. That means being aware of what is happening on your team and also being available should something go haywire.
• Always Prepared: A real team player is one that is always prepared, even for the worst. You have to approach ever instance with your team as though it will go off without a hitch, but also like you may face a million stumbling blocks along the way.
As the old saying goes, “There is no “I” in TEAM.” In order to be a true team player you have to be the one person who realizes this and puts it to practice along with all the other essential qualities of a team player. Everyone loves a winner and everyone loves working with a real team player.